Image Map

April 05, 2014

Stretchy Band!

I have been taking inventory of all of the resources I have and some things that I would really like in my classroom. My previous post mentions several things for movement in the classroom that I requested via DonorsChoose.org. I'm only $72 away, so please check it out if you can :)

http://www.donorschoose.org/mrsskog




Anyways, I have been crafting to create more things for the kids these last few weeks. It is finally getting nice outside, but the kids are testing. All day testing = crazy kids!!! Movement is always a winner during these times. Plus, I want to review everything we've learned, while also making positive musical impressions on the kids before they leave for summer. 


First, I created some ribbon wands for the 1st grade program. They are doing a program all about our environment to connect with their driving idea and common core standards in the classroom. I have already heard a ton of parents connecting with the Raffi songs at home! Woot woot! At the end of the program, the kids will be dancing to "Let it Grow" from The Lorax. 
I created blue and green ribbon wands using this website and its' instructions: 




The project I was most excited about was the stretchy band. I love Artie Almeida's resources! Her movement activities are really fun and educational. Check out this resource if you don't have it - so awesome!


The one item I was missing was a stretchy band and these things cost $50-$80 at West Music. Maybe, someday, I'll buy a real one, but until then, I made one. I found the tutorial from another blog site. It has great visuals with the instructions!


I found my loom refills at Walmart. I also modified it a little and did bunches of 4-5 strings together. I wanted it thicker to hold on to for my larger groups. I literally took 10 minutes to put together. However, it takes FOREVER to take apart. Make sure you know what you want before you assemble the whole thing. Still, this is going to work great and will wash well to take care of germs. I hope to get some photos of it up in action and will post back with its' upkeep. Here's my homemade stretchy band:


No comments:

Post a Comment