Image Map

May 08, 2015

Elementary Music Programs 14/15

I'm finally done with programs! I do have a few short performances at events in the next two weeks, but big grade-level programs are done for the year! HOORAY!

Finishing them up got me thinking. I love hearing other people's ideas and seeing local music programs, so I thought I would share my programs from this year. I'll give you as much information as possible, but due to copyright, I can't post any of the music here. It is all very accessible, though!


Thanks to Jena Hudson, Aileen Miracle & Whimsy Clips for the graphics!





First, I'm going to give you a little background on my program "history." The previous teacher before had wonderful programs, but the logistics were difficult. She normally had each class learn 2-3 pieces on their own and then an opener and closer to sing with the large group. This made for a lengthy concert, as well as downtime for the audience. I tried this my first two years and realized it wasn't for me. Now, I have all of the students up on stage at the same time (roughly 120 each program) where they can all learn the music, play instruments, dance and be the stars of the show! The parents love that they can take photos through the whole performance and the program is short enough to head home and put the little ones to bed. 


I do a program for each grade level, with 5 classes making up each grade. This is a lot of kids on stage, but the teachers are so helpful in making it successful! Some day, I'll write a blog post about the stories I have during program practice....oh, my goodness, the things I've heard!


Anyways, I've listed my songs and their locations below. Some programs tend to be the same theme each year, while others change. It is noted, but please let me know if you'd like anymore information. Here are my elementary music programs from this school year:





















As programs tend to take a lot of class time, I try to always include a variety of things in programs. We do movement, actions, instruments, etc., while also reinforcing concepts while learning. My parents want to see a "show." It takes some time to think up unique musical experiences, but the smiles on the kid's and parent's faces after the show is perfect :) I'm already thinking up next year! Several of these have extra things mentioned in italics. If you are interested in learning more about any of these pieces, please email me at msmusic4life88@gmail.com & I'd be happy to give you more information.


Have a great weekend!

18 comments:

  1. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! This is awesome! I just started at a brand new school so this year I didn't do any performances due to not having a performance space and wanting to give the school a year to get up on their feet and wanting to get a feel for the dynamics of the school. Now that I've been able to gauge the school, I've been brainstorming some ideas for next year and this is SOOOOOOO helpful. Thanks for posting!

    - Tamara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I generally have my programs planned two years in advance. Obviously, they change as I see new ideas or material, but many of them stay the same. Please let me know if you'd like any more ideas - I'm always happy to help out and share! :)

      Delete
  2. Christine,

    Planning programs is my least favorite thing!! I always feel short on resources and ideas. We currently do one winter concert where each grade sings 2 songs, and then each grade does music at an assembly, more like a casual ¨ informance¨.

    I would love to see some other programs if you're willing to share! I just feel I lack in repertoire and have spent hours on MusicK-8 and surfing the web in anyway I can to find material. Finding music takes me SO long!!

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel! I will post again later this year with my programs from this previous year. If you need any other ideas or suggestions, feel free to email me at msmusic4life88@gmail.com Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Do you just sing the songs or do you have speaking parts in between each song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny! We sing a song and then have a few speaking parts in between. Then another song, speaking parts, etc. Hope that clarifies! Let me know if you have any other questions.

      Delete
  4. Do you just have students sing? Or do you have speaking parts also?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your program list is great! Do you have more lists to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I will be posting this year's programs in May. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. Thank you! For the speaking parts, do you write them or use poems or books?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny! I normally write them, but have thought about reading a storybook and placing songs in between. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  7. Hi! I was curious about the flag routine you had in the 4th grade program! If you could give me some more info that would be awesome! I am really liking what you have and thought that would be a fun thing to include in a Veterans Day program I am working on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah! I used a flag for each child. First, they would march in place on the beat. On "forever in peace" they would wave their flag. Then, they would cross one hand over their chest and follow with the other hand for "land I love" so the flag is over their heart. Then they would pat the beat with their flag on their heart. March until "keep your eye on" where they slowly raise it and hold it strong.

      Very basic and mostly done by phrases on the beat. Sorry for the delay, but I hope this is beneficial to you!

      Delete
  8. Hi I am really liking your program! I was curious if I might be able to get more info on the scarf routine you did with the fourth grade program. I think that is a great idea! Would love some more info on what your routine was!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I am a first year teacher with very limited resources. I've done my second and third grade programs, but I still have first grade left, and I'm lost as to what to do! I was wondering if you had any extra ideas for kindergarten/first that you can send me? I am in a school where the kids are very behind (I'm the third teacher in the past three years), so I'm trying to come up with a program that challenges my first graders, but doesn't overwhelm them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paige! I am so sorry for the late reply. I like programs about bugs, messes, animals, family and more for these grades. I try to choose a few key songs (folk songs, traditional, etc.) plus a fun song they know. I also add in movement and something extra special like scarves, body percussion, lights, etc.

      Definitely check out Music K8 or Hal Leonard. They have pre-done programs that can help you out in a bind or kickstart your brain. Definitely dig through your resources at some point and make lists of songs that can be grouped together in themes. I have lists and place them with different grade levels every year depending on the kiddos. Again, sorry for the late reply. I hope you have a wonderful school year!

      Delete
  10. Hi! I was curious about your 5th grade programs. I noticed a stick routine that sounds interesting. I am always struggling with what to do with this age group. Any help would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! I put this together by incorporating rhythm sticks with body percussion. It was very basic and rhythmic - utilizing cues from the music itself. I don't have an exact routine written out but it was a big hit. Let the beat guide you!

      Delete